Pages

Sunday, July 14, 2013

When a rescue is more than a rescue...

Sam here.  Sam has exciting news to share.  Dis past Friday, the Sam was outfitted with his own parachute harness!
Important Sam message, coming your way!
Mom:  Well, not quite Sam - we outfitted you with a Help 'Em Up harness so that we could help get you standing and stabilize you while you walk.

Sam:  So I'm not going parachuting?

Mom:  Sorry, Sammish, not today.

Sam:  Hmmm.... Can I tell them then that I have my very own Service Human?

Mom (sighing dramatically):  If you must...

Tee-hee, his butt looks cute in this thing....
Sam:  Okay, so does anyone know where Sam goes to get Mom registered as Service Human?  She does everything for me right now.  She picks me up, brings me water, holds Sam while he does business... the list is endless.

Mom:  Yes, I have also assisted him in stealing Monty's food, begging for bones from Dad, and chasing imaginary rabbits through the yard.  Anything to keep his day normal...

Sam:  Those rabbits were dere, I saw them.  ...and they were mocking me!

Mom:  If you say so.  I think my knee will heal from where you ran around the rock and DIDN'T leave me enough room to clear it.

Sam:  You such a kidder, Mom!
I want to sun bathe for eleventy minutes, Mom.  Be ready to bring me back in the house.
Mom:  We really do need to say a very big thank you, Sam-I-am.

Sam:  To Monty's people?

Mom:  Yes, Sam.  You see, when I posted a plea for the loan of a harness on Facebook Friday, AZGRC got together and made sure you had a harness.  Not only that, Lisa made the drive to meet us and spent an hour helping me fit it on you. 

Sam:  She adored me.

Mom:  Everybody adores you, Sammy.  

Thank you everyone at Arizona Golden Retriever Connection for helping us this weekend with recommendations on which harness is the best, sharing our request on Facebook, IMing us, and taking the time to make sure Sam was comfortable in his borrowed harness.  This is just another one of those moments that makes AZGRC so much more than "just a rescue".  We feel so blessed to be part of this wonderful group and to call all of you our friends.  We knew you were so much more when Monty became part of the family, but you all have also made such a difference for Sam in the last couple of days.  Thank you so very much!

36 comments:

  1. Your mom is going to get some good arm muscles but we are so glad she is able to help you

    ReplyDelete
  2. A harness helps Lee too. Sam's is much cooler than hers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, my mom and I always do say and paw

    RESKHUES ROKHK ;-)

    Hugz&Khysses,
    Khyra

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Sam, you'll love your harness. Shortly after I got my lifting harness I took Mommy on a hike and convinced her to use the harness to help me get down a 4 foot drop to Lake Michigan where I promptly rolled in a HUGE pile of dead fish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a neat looking harness. What a great way to be able to help Sam get around.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sam, you're a lucky guy to have your very own service human, and that harness looks absolutely awesome! We hope your upcoming vet appointment goes great.

    Susan and Wrigs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sam you are soooo loved. It's pawsome when the world helps each other out.

    I hope you get your human certified easily so she is allowed to accompany you in public.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam, I DO adore you! You are very charming!

      Delete
    2. Sam, I DO adore you! You are very charming!

      Delete
    3. Sam, I DO adore you! You are very charming!

      Delete
  8. What a coincidence, we just outfitted our new foster girl Taylor with the exact same harness--I love it, and it's so easy to help get her around. We were told to be careful that it can cause hot spots, so she doesn't wear it all the time, but it's easy to get on an off so that's okay. Let me/us know how you like it, everyone I know that has used it, raves about it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Sam! Your harness is awesome! Not every pup gets their own rescue/service MOM!!! Sounds like you're doing great!!!
    Big Hugs xxxxxxxx
    Sammie and Ava

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your very own service human...that is cool cool Sam. You look great in that harness. Keeping you in my prayers my friend.
    Blessings,
    Goose

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh there are some wonderful humans out there, aren't there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's such good news that you have the harness and can get around....with a little human help. We hope your knee heals very soon (and we think your mama does too.)

    XXXOOO Daisy, Bella & Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sam,

    You sure look sporty - like you're going parachuting or hanggliding or ziplining or some other fun adventure! That's fantastic that you've got a service human.

    Garth

    ReplyDelete
  14. So happy you got a helpful harness, kind momma and wonderful friends! We used an old fashioned TOWEL to support our Golden, Rosie, when she needed it. I didn't know about these harness options!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The harness looks great, Sam looks like an action hero! So glad the rescue helped you find and fit the harness. Hope Sam is feeling better soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad you are able to get around with mums' help Sam. Onwards and upwards. Have a marvellous Monday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful harness! Mom only has the sling thing. This is 87 times better!

    Love ya lots♥
    Mitch and Molly

    ReplyDelete
  18. WHat a wonderful group to help you out. I'm glad Sam is getting some help.

    ReplyDelete
  19. OH Sammy, if you want to tell people you are going parachuting, we won't let anyone else be the wiser! Glad you have your own service human to tend to your every need. A great support group you have there too. Stay cool Sam!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is WONDERFUL... now you can get around.

    PetSmart University and Stuffie Distributorship probably has a Class fur getting your mom CERTIFIED as your personal HELPER HUMAN... She would get a super VEST to wear when she graduates.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Glad Sammy is being helped, sure glad Mom volunteered to be you humom service tool. We bet them rabbits were real, sometimes the Mom's just miss things.

    The Mad Scots

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sam, it is great to hear from you. So happy for Sam.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sam that is a wonderful Service Human you've got there. The people in Golden Retriever rescue are such generous folks.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a great service human and a great rescue! I've said it before and I'll say it again - not all rescues are created equal - some just have that extra something that makes you know they really are in it for the animals and that rescue is one of those special ones! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow, that was so nice of them.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Sam it's just super that your mom found such nice folks to help you out...Bet it makes your life easier now

    ReplyDelete
  28. You're stylin' now Sam. Don't let my Lucy or Sable see it or they will want one. Anything to make it easy on their arthritic bones.
    Sam I'm glad you're so loved!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Sam - you have wonderful parents and friends. We love you buddy! Newton's Family

    ReplyDelete
  30. Sam, our Quinn has a stylish harness like that that he wears when his back end issues get overwhelming. You have a most loving family who will help you get through this with dignity and courage. Mom should take you to the stables and let you water exercise in a horse trough...really helped Quinn keep his back leg muscles stronger. And laser treatments and massage both extend your ability to use your legs.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I was hoping this meant you were going to parachute in to see us!
    That is really wonderful. Rescue groups ROCK!
    Camo!

    ReplyDelete